You’ve picked your CMS – WordPress.
You’ve got your domain name and WordPress hosting.
You’ve installed WordPress and you’re wondering – which theme should I be using?
Up to this point, setting up your website has proven to be a breeze. Now you’re lost in a sea of thousands of different themes, templates and page builders.
How to Choose a WordPress Theme
In most cases, when someone is looking for a WordPress theme that offers flexibility, they want a theme they can use for many different purposes and that allows them to create exactly the site they want.
To do so, it needs to be adaptable enough to let you realize any vision you have for your site and pages.
In addition to that, it will preferably allow you to do so yourself, without the help of a developer or need to learn PHP. Because, let’s face it, if you wanted to customize WordPress with the help of a professional, you would simply hire one.
So, a flexible WordPress theme needs to be highly customizable and allow you to change whatever you want about your site without creating new templates or diving into code. Alternatively, a theme can also be considered flexible if it does require coding but makes this exceedingly easy. You will find examples for both in the list below.
The Best, Most Popular WordPress Themes in 2020
Alright, now that we have the definition out of the way, let’s get to the actual themes.
We are starting off with one of the most successful themes on the market. The Divi theme alone boasts half a million users.
For good reason. Divi is flexible and powerful, comes with its own drag-and-drop page builder and allows you to build any type of website: portfolios, business sites, online shops, blogs and more. To make this exceedingly easy, it has modules and layouts for many different purposes and customization options that let you create unique page designs at will.
- Create designs from scratch or from pre-made layouts via drag and drop
- All layouts and modules are fully customizable and responsive so they work on any device
- Ability to control colors, fonts, and other design elements
- Supports custom and video backgrounds
- Fully integrates with WooCommerce so you can build an online shop
- Underactive development, new features get introduced regularly
Next up is a completely free multi-purpose theme with a wide range of features and a full 5/5 rating in the WordPress directory. When you install OceanWP, it recommends installing a free page builder plugin to give you even more customization options. In addition to that, its multiple layout choices give you leg up in building your own custom website, making it one of the best free flexible WordPress themes out there.
- Suitable for any type of website including blogs, portfolios, online shops, business sites and more
- Built with SEO best practices for the ranking-friendly website
- Offers unique features for WooCommerce, such as tools to increase conversions
- Works with all popular page builder plugins
This one isn’t so much a WordPress theme as a page builder that comes with all themes published by Themify. It provides a framework that allows you to easily build custom designs via a drag-and-drop interface. The builder also has front end editing options so you can see your changes right away. In addition to that, it’s fully responsive so it looks good on any type of device.
- Live editing for pages, enables you to rearrange content to your liking
- Create any type of page and design for any purpose
- Pre-set layouts make it easier to get started, however, you can also work from scratch
- Comes with a multitude of modules from portfolios over sliders to testimonials and video
- Ability to use both native and third-party shortcodes inside the builder
This entry is a premium multi-purpose theme made to create any type of website and customize it according to your needs. Its many available templates make it easy to get started.
- Comes equipped with the Unyson page builder that allows you to change things via an interface rather than coding
- Includes WooCommerce for quickly building online shops
- Hundreds of customization options to shape your site to your liking
- Based on Bootstrap, resulting in a modular and cross-browser compatible mobile design
- More than 40 custom shortcodes help customize your site even further
- SEO friendly out of the box and compatible with most SEO plugins
Next on our list of the best flexible WordPress themes is another drag-and-drop theme builder. This one is built on Bootstrap and acts as a design suite that gives you full control over every aspect of your site. You are able to create your own layouts, add custom designs via an interface or CSS and make your site completely your own.
- Allows you to use native WordPress widgets in your designs
- Ability to style any element
- All site elements and layouts are fully mobile ready
- Comes with premium plugins (sliders, forms, fonts, menus, front end editing and more)
- Offers lots of hooks for code-savvy users
This one is one of our favorite options. We use it for pretty much all the websites we build. Genesis is a framework on which you can create any type of website. The company also offers a wide range of child themes for many purposes that act as jump-off points.
However, Genesis is generally not very beginner-friendly. While it makes customization easy for developers with its huge number of hooks, less tech-savvy users are better off using one of the child themes that let you customize your site via widgets and the Customizer. Or use the next option.
- Super lightweight and fast to load with clean and secure code
- Offers a large number of available custom widgets, code snippets, and plugins to customize the site to your liking
- The hook system makes it easy for developers to introduce changes
- A great support system for those in need of help
- Awesome SEO optimization and options (e.g. the ability to set a custom title and meta description)
For those who want to use the Genesis theme but aren’t into coding, there is Dynamik. Technically a Genesis child theme, it’s a powerful website builder for the Genesis framework. Dynamik gives you the ability to customize your theme design from the user interface via point and click. Whatever you desire to change, this flexible WordPress theme has you covered.
- Pre-set design options for the homepage that can be activated with one click
- Ability to create your own child theme from the back end
- Create page designs from scratch with unlimited custom widgets and content areas
- Control design aspects such as the color scheme and custom fonts on the front end without coding
- Fully responsive with options to let you fine-tune your mobile design
- Pre-made designs available from the repository
Here, we have a professionally designed and intuitive multipurpose WordPress theme. Uncode is built on top of Bootstrap with future-proof HTML5 and CSS3. It also comes with the Visual Composer plugin to allow you to implement your website design ideas via drag-and-drop rather than coding. In addition to that, you get two different slider solutions. Overall, a well-rounded offer.
- Visual Composer makes it easy for you to customize the design and layout by hand
- Built-in feature to make your site GDPR ready such as the ability to enable/disable content depending on user consent
- Puts a premium on performance for fast-loading websites
- Automatically rescales images depending on screen size, which is great for a mobile-friendly design
- WPML certified so your site is ready for translation
- Custom modules and layouts for posts, pages, portfolios, menus and much more
This next entry on our hit-list of the best flexible WordPress themes is one of the first-ever WordPress theme frameworks. Thesis has been around for a long time and offers powerful options to create unique WordPress sites for many purposes. It is also highly optimized for site speed and SEO.
- Easily customize page elements (color, fonts, number of columns, etc.) from the back end
- There are pre-set layout options for easy page creation
- Comes with built-in capabilities that usually require a plugin (SEO, Google Analytics, header and footer scripts)
- Custom hooks allow those with coding skills to make even more changes
- Is being continuously improved with new features by the maker
This premium theme is one of the most popular options for ThemeForest. It has many powerful features, among them multiple design options that can serve as bases for creating your own. In addition to that, X’s ability to customize site elements allows its users to build websites for pretty much any purpose.
- Customize your site from inside the native WordPress Customizer
- Change all and any site element and preview the result immediately
- Fluid design that looks great on any screen size
- Loads of page templates you can use as starting points for your own designs
- Comes with two icon font libraries
- Search engine optimized for high-ranking websites
You can not talk about X without mentioning Avada, which is the #1 best-selling theme on the ThemeForest market place. Like its competitor, Avada is out to help users of any level build the website of their dreams in an easy and flexible manner.
- Fully customizable to fulfill any kind of purpose
- Change all design elements via a user interface and thousands of customization options
- Hundreds of pre-made page designs included
- GDPR tools to make your site compliant with the new law
- Top-notch customer support
Hestia is a free flexible WordPress theme with premium ambitions. It is most suitable for blogs, magazines and business websites as well as easy to set up and customize via built-in WordPress options. If that is not enough for you, the theme also plays nice with all modern page builders.
- Offers a free companion plugin for adding testimonials, services and other elements to your site
- WooCommerce ready for all your online store ambitions
- Ready for translation and RTL languages
- Optimized for speed and search engines
- Great support including via docs, forums, and video tutorials
Soledad is a premium theme that is adaptable for many purposes. It is highly customizable and versatile and best suited for business purposes, blogs and magazines. One of its key features is the large number of existing demo pages that you can use as a foundation to create your own.
- 4000+ demo pages that you can install with one click
- Heavy focus on performance for blazingly fast websites
- More than a thousand slider/layout combinations
- Adds more than 600 options to the WordPress Customizer
- Compatible with the new GDPR law as well as popular WordPress plugins
14. The Core
A fully customizable WordPress theme built on ThemeFuse’s free Unyson framework. As such, it has drag-and-drop customization options and also comes with 25+ child themes that allow you to create any page design you want. While The Core is a premium-only option, it’s worth the investment. You get a lot for it.
- Visual page builder to create designs without coding
- Create your own color schemes via a color picker
- Mobile and retina ready
- Comes with multiple slider options
- Multiple header options, including sticky header
- Advanced SEO options and translation ready
Friends of the parallax scrolling effect will like Float. It is a WordPress theme with many possibilities available from Themify. As such, it comes with a built-in page builder to make your work easier for you. This allows you to build slick websites with modern design and effects.
- Fully responsive parallax effect that works on any modern device
- Multiple layout options to create custom pages
- 1-click import of demos to get started quickly
- Portfolio post type helps you show off your work
- Works with WooCommerce out of the box
This member of the best flexible WordPress themes is made for creatives who want full control over their website. It comes with a wide range of modules that let you do so as well as premium plugins that give you even more customization options.
- Includes Visual Composer, Slider Revolution, Timetable Responsive Schedule and more
- 350+ demo options to get you started — you are also able to combine elements from different demos
- Comes with modules for all sorts of purposes from shops to blogs, magazines and beyond
- Loads of built-in customization options that are accessible via the Customizer
A premium multi-purpose theme is most suited for business websites and blogs. The fully widgetized homepage allows you to build designs by dragging and dropping widgets. It also has custom widgets, pre-made templates, and layouts. Plus, if you want further customization options, Spencer supports all popular page builder plugins.
- Fully responsive so it looks great on any screen size
- Many options in the WordPress Customizer including for changing colors and layouts
- Optimized for website speed and performance
- Translation and SEO ready
Another powerful multi-purpose theme with a modern and professional design as well as SiteOrigin’s Page Builder baked in. It offers a multitude of customization options, making it one of the best flexible WordPress themes out there.
- A multitude of design options include parallax and video backgrounds, pricing tables as well as mega menus
- Includes the Slider Revolution premium plugin
- Take control of your typography with built-in Google Fonts support
- Great portfolio options including hover effects, animations, lightbox and more
- Fully WooCommerce ready so you can build an e-commerce website
This candidate right here is a fully customizable WordPress theme with a modular design approach. Start off with one of the many existing website designs or create your own via drag and drop. After that, combine modules into something you truly love and that serves your purpose. It’s all up to you.
- Build complex layouts in minutes via the front end editor (no coding!)
- 1-click installation of pre-built designs to hit the ground running
- Ready to be translated for websites with international ambitions
- Mobile optimized and responsive
- Ready for WooCommerce, Google Fonts, Icon Fonts, WPForms and more
Formerly known as Zerif, Zelle is available as both a free and premium version. Made by ThemeIsle, it’s a popular one-page theme that offers loads of customization options. Zelle is also fully WooCommerce compatible so it can accommodate any online store ambitions you might have.
- Parallax scrolling and interactive elements for a sleek, modern website
- Customize your site and see design changes in real-time
- Compatible with drag-and-drop page builders for even more customizability
- SEO friendly, optimized for speed and translation ready
- Video tutorials help you get started
Another free option on our list of the best flexible WordPress themes. It’s built for designing websites of any kind, you can just download it from the WordPress directory and get going. A drag-and-drop content builder, as well as plenty of Customizer options, will help you make something special.
- Recommends a page builder upon installation and also works with all popular options
- Mobile friendly, retina-ready, SEO optimized and made for speed
- Allows you to customize colors, fonts, vector icons and more
- Regular updates with new features, bug fixes and improvements
- Completely free to use thanks to its GPL license
Another excellent choice for a multi-purpose WordPress theme. You can find it on the Mojo Marketplace. Highend, too, has drag-and-drop functionality for building websites and is flexible enough to create many different kinds. Plus, it comes with a number of ready-to-use templates that allow you to get started in minutes.
- Includes $150 worth of premium plugins including Visual Composer, Slider Revolution, and Essential Grid
- Plays nice with WooCommerce
- Free lifetime updates and premium support
- Ability to change colors of elements instantly without code
- 1-click import of demo content
Aimed at business websites, Struct is flexible enough to be suitable for many different purposes. Unlike many other options on this list, it uses native WordPress functionality to make it customizable. For example, the theme comes with a fully widgetized homepage, allowing you to create your own site quickly and easily.
- Build your homepage by dragging and dropping widgets into place
- Custom widgets include pricing tables, clients, documentation, and other options
- Comes with five custom content types including services, projects, FAQs, testimonials and more
- Easily change the website color scheme in the WordPress Customizer
- Works well with page builders in case the included functionality is not enough
For those who like a clean and simple design, there is Elegant by Themify. The theme has a strong focus on content, without fancy animations and other frills. It’s most suited for writers, designers, agencies and other creatives. Elegant allows you to show off your work and present yourself to clients in the best possible way.
- Comes with custom post types for portfolio and team
- Image display options include filters, grid, and masonry design
- Responsive and retina ready to draw in mobile users
- Design pages easily with the Themify drag-and-drop builder
- Multiple color schemes and homepage designs
- Customize your site from inside the WordPress theme Customizer
Another free option from the WordPress theme directory. As the name suggests, it offers many options to make your site unique. Like other entries on our list of the best flexible WordPress themes, it favors existing WordPress functionality to page builders. As a consequence, you can change much from inside the WordPress Customizer.
- Has its own building tool for site headers and footers
- Build with a focus on SEO, site speed and usability
- Support for all major page builder plugins (if you need them)
- Suitable for a wide range of website types
- Straight 5-star ratings in the theme directory
This fully customizable theme is available both in a free as well as a pro version. Sydney is aimed at freelancers and businesses and gives you lots of design options inside the Customizer. It also comes with its own set of widgets for custom functionality.
- Fully customizable header, including the video background option
- Translation ready, cross-browser compatible, works with WooCommerce
- Introduces five additional page templates for more design choices
- Custom widgets include a contact widget, employees widget, timeline, latest news carousel and more
27. Full Frame
Our final entry is a full-width multi-purpose theme with a focus on photography and personal blogs. Full Frame uses a freemium model so you can test the theme before buying. When you do, it lets you easily create any professional website you might need.
- Ability to adjust layouts, fonts, colors, logos and more
- Comes with custom widgets, menus, and backgrounds
- Full-width responsive design that looks good on desktop, tablets, and phones
- Slider options for featured images, pages, and posts available
What is Your Favorite Multi-Purpose Theme?
Sometimes when building a site it’s best to go with a specialized theme. However, this isn’t the optimal option for everyone, especially when you need a lot of customization work and are not a developer. In that case, you might be better served to turn to the best flexible WordPress themes out there that give you a choice as to what kind of site you want to build.
Fully customizable WordPress themes allow you to realize the vision of your site by providing all the tools you need. More importantly, they do so without requiring you to become a developer first. Instead, they give power into the hands of everyday users to make their website dream become reality.
In our list above, you find a lot of themes that fit that description. They come with loads of customization options that help you build unique websites via point and click instead of writing code. Even the ones that are more aimed at beginners still put a premium on making changes easy and painless.
If you are looking for the best flexible WordPress themes to make your project reality, you are now hopefully one step closer.
What are your favorite multi-purpose WordPress themes? Anything to add to the list above? Let us know in the comments section below!